- Forty years ago, Gloria Steinem wondered what the world would be like if men could menstruate. Dana Leipold wonders what it would be like if men had killer menstrual cramps.
- Amelia McDonell-Parry of The Frisky shares 15 “memorable menstruation scenes” from popular culture. We’ve written about several of these re:Cycling: Ani DiFranco’s Blood in the Boardroom was analyzed just last week by Saniya Ghanoui; David Linton has written about the scene in Curb Your Enthusiasm and a re-make of Carrie; and the scenes from Roseanne and from My Girl are both discussed in my book, Capitalizing on the Curse. Check our media archives for more!
- A doctor’s advice about what to look for in a lube.
- The latest issue of Nursing Practice reports on a study from Ireland that found women being treated for gynecological cancers seldom receive sufficient information about the effects of their cancers on their sexuality.
- A few facts about birth control coverage and the Affordable Care Act, courtesy of Planned Parenthood.
- Dr. Jen Gunter addresses the question of safety of super-plus tampons with respect to TSS (toxic shock syndrome), reviewing studies and FDA data.
- University of Colorado at Colorado Springs has revised its Public Safety website in light of new statutes prohibiting guns on campus, offering women alternative strategies to deal with rapists, since shooting them is apparently no longer an option. Tips include “Tell your attacker that you have a disease or are menstruating,” and “Vomiting or urinating may also convince the attacker to leave you alone.”
One response to “If Men Had Cramps, Memorable Menstrual Moments, and More Weekend Links”
Readers should note that statements published in Menstruation Matters are those of individual authors and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the Society as a whole.