U.S. readers, what did you think of the “Menzies” episode of New Girl? We’ve been discussing it on our Facebook page. In the clip at right, Winston reveals his sympathy PMS to Schmidt.
- How a pregnancy test can reveal you have cancer.
- The exact cause of endometriosis is unknown, but one frequently-cited hypothesis is the menstrual reflux theory. The November 5, 2012, issue of Fertility Weekly includes a summary of a study published last year in the Italian journal, Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, in which researchers propose that the frequency of endometriotic lesions in the posterior pelvic compartment in comparison to the other quadrants supports the menstrual reflux theory.
- In other news about endometriosis, Leslie Botha sent an article from the Israel Medical Association Journal about the implications of the disease for those who observe Halakha (traditional Jewish law). The authors “discuss the relevant halakhic and medical literature and hope that such analysis will facilitate efforts to assist the observant couple in gaining regular niddah-free segments of time”.
- Another advantage of cloth pads over disposables: they offer greater independence, according to blogger Beth Bluestocking. “I don’t have to rely on anything other than a washing machine”, she wrote.
- The United Nations says access to contraception is a universal human right that could dramatically improve the lives of women and children in poor countries. The global body also says increasing funding for family planning by a further $4.1 billion could save $11.3 billion annually in health bills for mothers and newborns in poor countries.
- CNN.com reports on a soon-to-be-published study that found women who reached menarche before age 12 have a greater risk of heart disease (23%) and higher risk of dying from heart attack or stroke (28%). The researchers base this prediction on the finding that that earlier menses was linked to higher body mass index (BMI) and greater waist circumference, but they acknowledge that is unclear whether the link between early menarche and heart disease is “actually the result of childhood obesity tracking into adulthood, and not related to early puberty”.
- Rebecca Cuneo Keenan explains in vivid detail what a first postpartum period is like at Jezebel.