- The big news in the U.S. this week: The female voter has ways of shutting that whole thing down. Rachel Maddow explains in this video.
- Cycle Harmony suggests ten simple ways to honor your cycle.
- Mike Huckabee, talk show host and one-time candidate for the Republican nomination for president, remarked on his Facebook page that women are worse at multi-tasking when they’re menstruating. He said that he wanted to share some lighter news as many Americans braced for Hurricane Sandy. I don’t know about you, but that sure cheered me up.
- This week at In Media Res features a special theme week of analysis of humor and Women’s Health: “Women’s Health Is A Joke”. Check it out for smart analysis of Pinkwashing and the Komen Foundation, language and power in online comedy videos about vaginas, and the ways Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is both enjoyable (headstrong women and girls having fun together, supporting each other, relating openly and honestly with each other) and troubling (the show’s formal structures wage an incredibly misogynistic war on women): “Birthin’ Babies Are Disgusting”: Women’s Health in the Honey Boo Boo “Apocalypse”.
- Voice of America reports on how menstruation education can help girls in Ghana stay in school.
- A guest post at Feministe offers a critical take on this report of a study that claims “women with the most severe form of endometriosis happen to be unusually attractive.”
Readers should note that statements published in Menstruation Matters are those of individual authors and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the Society as a whole.