- A gay man explains his admittedly limited understanding of vaginas: “I don’t remember learning much of anything during health class in junior high. Maybe I missed the day they taught everything about the ol’ chowderhouse (that’s my nickname for the vagina, which is further proof of just how little I know . . .”)
- You’ve no doubt heard that the Susan G. Komen Foundation caved to right-wing bullying and withdrew their financial support for breast examinations at Planned Parenthood; Irin Carmon explains how it’s just one part of the right’s war to separate abortion rights from women’s health care. [Note: As of Friday, February 3, in what is widely believed to be a public relations move, the Komen Foundation has apologized but not reversed the policy.]
- At GOOD magazine, Nona Willis Aronowitz suggests five alternative organizations — alternatives to the Komen Foundation, that is — you can donate to if you’d like to make a contribution to improving women’s health: Give Komen the Pink Slip.
- Susan Love’s Army of Women Project links to a Boston University School of Public Health research study seeking lesbian and bisexual women who have survived breast cancer and are willing to participate in a phone survey. It is for the Variations in the Health Needs of Breast Cancer Survivors Study.
- Sing it, brother: If Men Had Periods, Women Would Know About It. There’d be no such thing as “TMI”.
- SaneVax asks Kathleen Sebelius (Secretary of Health and Human Services) to rescind approval of Gardasil.
- Your labia are just fine. Really. In fact, they’re awesome. But Heather Corinna estimates that “what’s wrong with my labia is among the top five questions received at Scarleteen (best sex education site EVAR) in the last few years.
P.S. This is our 500th post at re:Cycling!